Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Joint blog post from Gatlinburg



In 2 weeks, I will be joining Mackenzie for the remainder of the Appalachian Trail... Surprise! This decision did not come without a lot of prayer and faith.


As I mentioned before, I was feeling incredibly lonely after my parents left. I figured that I needed time to adjust to hiking life, but even after making friends and lots of prayer, I still felt something was missing. I thought about how great it would be to have Beau hiking with me, but knew I couldn't ask him to come thru hike with me without it being his own decision. I thought about coming home, but knew I would regret it. I decided I would propose to Beau that if I still felt lonely in another three or four weeks, would he consider coming out to hike. I called him when I had service at the NOC, and before I could even get out my proposal, he said,


I'm coming to hike with you! Luckily for me it happened to be her birthday when I told her, instantly making it the best gift I could give. Another stroke of luck was that her parents were planning on going to North Carolina on May 4 so I'm able to hitch a ride to wherever Mackenzie is on the trail.


Probably around Damascas, VA... Of course I was thrilled at this development and asked Beau several times if this was something that he wanted to do and that he wasn't doing this just for me.

After tracking her day to day progress, reading books and hearing about the remarkable things she is experiencing, I was sure that this is what I wanted to do... Plus, what am I waiting for? This is really the only chance I have to do something like this.  

9 comments:

  1. SOOOOOOO FUN! That's great Bo! I'm glad you'll be joining Mack! Good luck with your preparation and the hike itself. And I agree - this is the best time to go and you'll hardly ever have a chance like this again. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! That sounds like a great plan! And we'll be glad to see Beau on his way to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! That will be so much fun! Good luck you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, you two. Beau, do you have the equipment to join in? Or is that why you need two weeks - to prep? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I have a lot of the supplies, we have hiked before... but yes, the 2 weeks is to quit, get my affairs in order, and yes, buy odds and ends.

      Delete
  5. SO glad for you, kenz! :) my mom was worried about you all alone out there (and so was i, really!), so we are glad that Beau is joining you.
    PS: when do you plan to be in the MD area? I would like to say goodbye to you... (craig and i are moving to arizona!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's actually quite safe out here... there is always a group at the shelters in the evening and everybody kind of looks out for each other. :)

      i expect we'll be in MD mid June. I'd love to meet up! I want to meet Craig!!

      Delete
    2. okay, i will keep track of your progress and i hope that we can see you guys in June!!

      Delete